Posted: 6 October, 2016
Bushfire Danger for Goldfields region today
While parts of the State are still very much looking like Winter, DFES is issuing extreme fire danger advice for parts of the Goldfields Midlands.
An Extreme Fire Danger Rating has been forecast for the Eastern part of the Shire of Dundas as well as the Eastern part of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.
Meanwhile, a Severe fire danger advice is in place for the following parts of the Midlands Goldfields:
- City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder - western part
- Shire of Coolgardie
- Shire of Dundas - western part
- Shire of Laverton - south western corner
- Shire of Leonora
- Shire of Menzies - central part
- Shire of Sandstone - part adjacent to Leonora Shire
- Shire of Wiluna - south western corner
The advice is to stay alert and watch for signs of fire, especially smoke and flames and to have your bushfire survival plan and kit ready.
Do not wait for a warning before you act. If you see flames call triple zero.
These are very hot, dry and windy conditions for a bush or grass fire.
If a fire starts and takes hold:
- It will be unpredictable, move very fast and difficult for firefighters to bring under control.
- Spot fires will start and move quickly. Embers may come from many directions.
If you live in or near bush with high fuel loads then you are at risk and need to act:
- Read through your bushfire survival plan. If you do not have one decide what you will do if a fire starts.
- If you are not prepared to the highest level, leaving bushfire risk areas early in the day is your safest option.
- Homes that are prepared to the highest level, have been constructed to bushfire protection levels and are actively defended may provide safety.
You must be physically and mentally prepared to defend in these conditions.