Posted: 27 November, 2016
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for SHIRES OF NANNUP, BRIDGETOWN-GREENBUSHES and DONNYBROOK
Another fire in the state's South West is keeping firefighters on their toes.
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT for 20km west of Bridgetown and 15km east of Nannup in SHIRES OF NANNUP, BRIDGETOWN-GREENBUSHES and DONNYBROOK.
Full details below.
Time of issue: 12:15 PM
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for 20km west of Bridgetown and 15km east of Nannup in SHIRES OF NANNUP, BRIDGETOWN-GREENBUSHES and DONNYBROOK
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people within the vicinity of Gregory and Ellis State forest blocks, 20km west of Bridgetown and 15km east of Nannup bounded by Ellis Plantation and Nannup-Balingup Road across to Lewana Plantation in the north to Dalgarup Plantation in the east.
- The alert level for this fire has been upgraded.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is burning in the area and the conditions are changing.
- You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
- The fire started near the intersection of Ellis Creek and Austin Road
- It is burning in a northerly direction towards Lewana and Southampton plantations
WHAT TO DO:
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
Bushfire ADVICE for Gregory and Ellis State forest blocks in Shire of Nannup
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people within the vicinity of Gregory and Ellis state forest blocks in the Shire of Nannup.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of Ellis Creek and Austin Road.
- It is burning in State forest.
WHAT TO DO:
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving fast in a north easterly direction.
- It is not contained.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Roads have not been closed.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR SHIRE OF NANNUP.
Recreation site closures:
Bibbulmun Track is closed from Blackwood Hut to Willow Springs campsite.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are actively fighting the fire.
- 90 Department of Parks and Wildlife, Volunteer Fire and Emergency Services, career firefighters are attending.
- Aerial support has been sent to assist ground crews.
- The fire was reported at 02:30 PM on 26 November 2016 and currently there has been 2500 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is escape from a prescribed burn that was lit a month ago.
- Parks and Wildlife is now managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, or listen to news bulletins.