Posted: 1 December, 2016
Bush Fire Advice For Nannup
Bushfire ADVICE for Gregory and Ellis State forest blocks in Shire of Nannup
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people within the vicinity of Gregory and Ellis state forest blocks in the Shire of Nannup.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of Ellis Creek and Austin Road.
- It is burning in State forest.
WHAT TO DO:
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
No roads are closed.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR SHIRE OF NANNUP.
RECREATION SITE CLOSURES:
Bibbulmun Track is closed from Spring Gully / Southampton Road junction to Willow Springs.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are strengthening containment lines, burning out unburnt pockets, patrolling the area and mopping up.
- 50 Department of Parks and Wildlife firefighters are attending.
- The fire was reported at 02:30 PM on 26 November 2016 and currently there has been 4300 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is escape from a prescribed burn that was lit a month ago.
- Parks and Wildlife is now managing the fire.